Our Victorian Garden is a community jewel with the only waterfall in Greenville, Michigan. Rock terrace walls and colorful plantings have transformed this former hill into a lush oasis. The garden is constantly changing throughout the growing season, so we encourage you to visit often.
- Stroll through the garden on the path made from Greenville’s
original brick streets from 1910.
- Come capture a memorable moment in the garden. It is one of the most popular areas in town for a birthday, engagement, anniversary or graduation picture.
- Relax beside the waterfall or in the corn crib gazebo. The garden provides a great place to sit and read, chat with a friend, or just enjoy nature. It is free to the public.
- Volunteer to help maintain the garden. There is something everyone can do! If you are interested in working in the garden once all restrictions are lifted, let us know on the volunteer page!
The Victorian Garden provides a grand first impression for our main entrance. It was created in 2006 with a memorial gift from the family of William and Phyllis Ham and supported as Eagle Scout Projects. The Michigan Museum Association awarded The Flat River Historical Society the Small Museum Institutional Achievement Award for the new garden and waterfall. We would like to thank all of the donors who have supported the garden over time.
Outdoor artifacts extend our museum exhibit space. These antiques can be viewed in the garden, even when the museum is not open.
Come to see:
- Fire bell - the first fire bell used in Greenville from 1876 to 1941
- Plow - horse-drawn three bottom plow used by an area farmer
- Corn crib - corn storage crib used on a local form
- Quilt block - a large quilt block that tells the story of Greenville, from Indians, and sawmills to Danes
- Bridge sign - large bridge sign from the Fairplains Street bridge built in 1883
- Mill stone - a large stone wheel from Greenville’s first grist mill built in 1851
- Cornerstones - Original 1912 and 1936 annex cornerstones from Central School